- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Position an oven rack in the center and heat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat together the buttermilk and egg until they’re well blended.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until everything is moistened. (Don’t overmix or your cornbread will be tough.)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the center of the oven until your cornbread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into 12 pieces.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1 piece): 102 calories, 1 g fat, 20 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein and 3 PointsPlus value, 3 SmartPoints
Cornbread is best served warm and enjoyed the day it is eaten. If you have some leftover, you can heat it gently in the microwave.
Pepper Jack and Green Chile Variation: stir in one can (4.5 ounce) diced mild green chiles, drained and 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat pepper Jack cheese before baking. Points+ value: 4
CLICK NEXT PAGE TO CONTINUE READING… >
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/easyrecipes01.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/flex-mag-child/single.php on line 528