I knew this would go over well when my 15 year old sniffed his portion on his plate and said “Mmmmm, mom, this ones a winner”. Portions are fairly large. Feel free to experiment to spice it up a bit!
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (2.5 oz) sweet Italian sausage link, casing removed
- 10 oz (.65 lbs) 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- black pepper
- 5 oz frozen peas
- 2 cups homemade tomato sauce
- 1 large egg, 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano (or parmesan)
- cooking spray
- 4 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 1/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- fresh parsley or basil, if desired
- Cook rice with 1 teaspoon kosher salt according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, sauté sausage meat; cook until brown breaking up into pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Add turkey and onions and cook until browned, breaking up as it cooks. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste, then add peas and 1 cup sauce; simmer on low, covered, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl combine cooked rice, pecorino romano, eggs, and 1/2 cup tomato sauce and mix well. Rice should be a bit sticky.
- Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with cooking spray, making sure to spray sides too. Add 2 tbsp breadcrumbs to the dish and roll around to coat the bottom and sides.
- Take half of the rice mixture (a little more if needed) and cover the bottom of the dish and up the sides; press to form the bottom layer. Fill with the meat and peas.
- Top with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
- The cover with remaining rice and press until even.
- Top with remaining sauce, remaining 2 tbsp breadcrumbs, and remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, until hot. Garnish with parsley or basil if desired, cut into 8 pieces and serve.
- Servings: 8
- Serving Size: 1 slice (1/8th)
- WW SP: 8
- Calories: 373 • Fat: 10 g • Sat Fat: 4 g • Carb: 47 g • Fiber: 2 g • Protein: 21g • Sugar: 1 g • Sodium: 629 mg • Chol: 61 mg
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/customer/www/easyrecipes01.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/flex-mag-child/single.php on line 528