Full disclosure: I’d never cooked a Paula Deen recipe before this one. I’ve always been turned off by all the butter she uses with abandon. (And that’s not even getting into her personal failings and the racism she espoused.) But since so many of our readers and other food-lovers in our space seemed to love this particular Paula recipe — it’s highly-rated, pinned, and searched — I was up for giving it a try. If, for anything else, to tell you if it was worth your time and effort as well.
Paula dubs her old-fashioned meatloaf as “basic,” and while at first glance that translates to a simple ingredient list and quick instructions, it actually resulted in a meatloaf that really was (spoiler alert!) pretty boring.
How to Make Paula Deen’s Meatloaf
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes with their juice
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl mix together all meatloaf ingredients well. Place the mixture into a 9×13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and shape into a loaf.
- Mix together the topping ingredients and spread over the loaf.
- Bake until done, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1/4th): 15.9 g fat, 20.2 g carbs, 2.2 g fiber, 36.3 g protein and 9* WW SP.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!
Yummy, Please make sure to Like and share this Recipe with your friends on Facebook!